MBT-70 (KPz-70) Main Battle Tank (MBT)
The ill-fated MBT-70 program was a failed joint effort by the United States and West Germany to produce a next generation main battle tank.
Authored By JR Potts, AUS 173d AB; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
The Cold War in Europe spanned from 1947 into 1991 and the undisputed enemy to the democratic world was the nuclear-armed Soviet Union led by Joseph Stalin. After its strong showing against the German Army in World War 2 (1939-1945), the Soviet military comprised of thousands of proven battle tanks, self-propelled guns, artillery pieces, aircraft and constantly evolving air defense systems. In 1949, the defeated Germans had been divided into an eastern and western section, the east under the control of the communist Soviets. West German authorities and US forces knew the tank force just over the border could destroy them by simple conventional means through massed numbers. The United States maintained a full tank division along the border and this was further backed by three M65 atomic cannons
(known as "Atomic Annie") that, if necessary, could be used to answer a large Soviet tank attack from the east. The major drawback of the Annie was in that it took a full day to position and set up for firing. As such, Annie positions could be overrun by a fast-moving enemy before her nuclear projectiles. The Soviets were anything but blind to these weapons and kept a close watch on the Annies. At the time, the US Army's Main Battle Tank (MBT) was the M60 "Patton"
and, for the Germans, the Leopard 1
- both tanks had been developed to counter the Russian T54/55 series tanks that were now further strengthened by the arrival of the advanced T-62. Both Germany and the US continued to make upgrades to their Leopard 1 and M60 tanks but inevitably looked forward to an advanced generation of tank to defeat future Soviet tank designs already in development.
In 1963, the US and Germany pioneered a joint venture project to develop a new Main Battle Tank - the German prototype being designated as the "KPz-70" and the US version to be known as "MBT-70" (for the purposes of this article, both will be collectively referred to as the MBT-70). The goal was to build a superior tank system making use of steel-layered tungsten alloy armor and an inner protective shell comprised of spaced layers of extra hard uniform rolled steel armor. Almost from the start the two design teams faced numerous disagreements as to the number of design features to incorporate. The language barrier was one obvious detrimental factor and the rivalry held between the two teams resulted in very little teamwork and major developmental cost overruns. Despite the same need for a combat tank, the requirements of each military differed based on battlefield theories and tactics. Different engines and main guns were selected by both sides and even the use of metric (or "SAE") measurements were argued about so both would, in fact, be used.
Testing began in 1965 and the two teams developed fairly advanced features such as a new crouching hydro-pneumatic suspension system that allowed the tank driver to lower its silhouette to within 4 inches from the ground. This would have helped the system conceal itself amongst tall underbrush while making for a harder target to hit. The suspension could then be raised to allow for better off-road mobility and superb travel on paved roads. The turret would be large enough to house the three-man crew which, in itself, was a vast departure from conventional approaches that always stationed the driver in the lower front hull - apart from the gunnery crew. The American team chose a 152mm gun "launcher" as main armament for their MBT-70 with an XM-150 auto loading cannon rated to fire AP/HE/WP rounds as well as the Shillelagh anti-tank missile - the latter being able to reach out and hit targets out to 3,000 meters. For infantry suppression, there was a 7.62 coaxial machine gun and to protect from low-flying aircraft, a 20mm remote-controlled anti-aircraft cannon would be made available, this installed along the side of the turret and hidden under two hatches. The Germans selected a relatively simpler approach with a 120mm automatic cannon as the primary armament.