The Attu design was spawned from fifty unfinished cargo vessels under Kaiser Shipbuilding Company and was part of the large complement of Casablanca-class escort carriers to see operational service with the US Navy. She consisted of an unarmored flight deck that generally served naval bombers, torpedo bombers and fighters. Her superstructure was set back between amidships and the stern on the starboard side. The carrier was defended by 1 x 5" main gun, 16 x 40mm cannons and an additional 20 x 20mm cannons for anti-aircraft use.
The USS Attu was laid down (by Kaiser Shipbuilding Company), launched and officially commissioned in 1944. She was decommissioned in 1946 and had her name struck from the Naval Vessel Register that same year. In early 1947 and like many navy vessels seeing combat in the Second World War (which, incidentally, she earned 2 Battle Stars for her exploits), she was unceremoniously sold off for scrap. The USS Attu was named after the Aleutian Island chain's westernmost and largest island "Attu" off the coast of Alaska. She was originally called "Elbour Bay" before being renamed on November 6th, 1943. In her post-war time, she served under the name of "Gay" as a merchant class vessel.
Text ©2003-2016 www.MilitaryFactory.com. All Rights Reserved. No Reproduction Permitted - the Content of this Page is NOT for reuse in any form. Email corrections/comments to MilitaryFactory at Gmail dot com. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance or general operation. Please consult original manufacturers for such information.