Staff Writer (Updated: 7/6/2010):
Design of this flintlock pistol proved conventional for the time, with a metal barrel set within a wooden frame. The pistol grip was integrated into the rear of the body and capped by metal. The firing action was external and set to the right side of the body (containing the cock-lever, frizzen stem and flash pan). The barrel was banded once along the forward portion of the body and a ramrod was set underneath the cylindrical and smooth barrel. The caliber was .45 with the barrel measuring in at 8.5 inches in length.
Robert Johnson was responsible for the Model 1836 and production centered out of Middletown, Connecticut.