The Charron-Girardot-Voigt of 1902 was one such early attempt at utilizing a combustion engine vehicle and fitting a traversing machine gun mount to the rear of the chassis. There was seating for three though the driver and the passenger resided in an open-air cockpit that held no armor protection. The steering wheel sat high on the steering column which made for an awkward reach. The third occupant was charged with managing a single Hotchkiss 7.7mm machine gun on a raised platform at the rear of the vehicle. This position was partially covered in a 7mm thick armored shield and little else. A later version incorporated a steel surrounding drum though still open-air in its nature. The vehicle sat upon four rubber-tired spoked wheels which offered little comfort and robustness. The engine (of 50 horsepower) was situated in a forward-mounted compartment.
Design of the vehicle was attributed to Georgian engineer Mikheil Nakashidze and originally developed for use by the Russian Army. However, lack of production facilities capable of such a design led the vehicle to be produced by the French concern of Charron, Girardot & Voigt - hence its French origination. The vehicle was put up for public display in 1902 at the Salon de l'Automobile et duCycle being held in Brussels, Belgium.
Only two 1902 model armored cars of this type were ever completed. Though the prototypes performed well in evaluations for the French Army, they were never adopted for serial production and, thusly, fell to the pages of history. Regardless, the age of the armored car had arrived and many would be put into action in the upcoming World War of 1914-1918.
Text ©2003-2016 www.MilitaryFactory.com. All Rights Reserved. No Reproduction Permitted. Email corrections/comments to MilitaryFactory at Gmail dot com. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance or general operation. Please consult original manufacturers for such information.