GMC CCKW 353 (G-508 / Jimmy / Deuce-and-a-Half) Multi-Purpose Transport Truck
The GMC CCKW 353 was produced in over 550,000 examples and made it into the inventories of multiple nations across the globe.
Authored By Dan Alex; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Before America's involvement in World War 2 began in late 1941, the US Army sent out a requirement to interested American manufacturers that it was in need of a new transport vehicle to fulfill some direct specifications. The new vehicle would have to prove itself easy to manufacturer, itself capable of being transported on current Navy craft and could be constructed in the shortest amount of time possible. The GMC firm won the Army contract in 1941 and company facilities ramped up for production. By the end of the story, some 562,750 CCKW 353 trucks were ultimately produced, making the CCKW 353 a numerous component of the Allied cause. The vehicle proved itself reliable, powerful and portable along the many fronts involved in the global conflict. Production ended in 1945 to which the CCKW saw actions in Europe and the Pacific.
Design was utilitarian to the core, designed to utilize a minimum of moving parts and thus making it relatively easy to repair in the field. This also lent the vehicle well to configurations and versatility. The slab-sided cab sat behind the engine housing which was aspirated through a grille element along the front facing. The front wheels were steerable and covered over in high-mounted mud flaps. The rear was supported by a collection of four double-wheeled axles. The truck sat high to allow for navigation over uneven terrain, water and mud. The passenger area could be covered over in a tarp (this a cost-effective move over the use of expensive sheet metal) supported by spanning ribs or left open to the elements. Entry to the passenger space was typically from the rear of the vehicle. Foldable wooden racks were included along the cargo bed sides to serve as passenger seating. The driver and the gunner made use of conventional automobile-style doors along the cab sides. The front of the truck was characterized by a large-area bumper system as well as a protective cage fencing guarding the engine and integrated headlamps from debris and small arms fire. Gas tanks were mounted conventionally along the truck sides, just aft of each door step. While early CCKW 353s had their cabs covered over in sheet metal, later ones made use of tarp or canvas coverings instead beginning in July of 1943 as a further economical measure in its construction while also saving on weight.