Staff Writer (Updated: 4/18/2016):
During this time, the world was already weary of war and defense budgets were drastically slashed from their peaks seen during World War 2. As such, much of the World War 2 inventory remained and this included the ubiquitous M4 Sherman medium tank of the American Army. For the communist North, it fielded a plethora of Soviet T-34 medium tanks - a hero of World War 2 - some of the later variants mounting the potent 85mm main gun in the T-34/85 configuration. Alongside the M4 Sherman, the United States Army could also field the late-war M26 Pershing, originally categorized as a heavy tank before advances of the time downsized it to a medium tank classification in the post-war world.
The 46-ton, 90mm-armed M26 Pershing (or "General Pershing") was introduced in 1945, expected to partake in the final tank battles against German armor in World War 2. Germany was fielding the excellent Panzer V Panther medium tank and the stout Tiger I and Tiger II heavy tanks by the end of the war - designs that outmatched the American M4 Sherman on many levels. However, Germany capitulated in May of 1945 to which the M26 was just beginning to arrive in Europe (the first in January 1945) in useful numbers and saw only limited combat against Axis foes. In service, it ultimately proved unreliable and its powerpack (same as in the lighter M4 Sherman) was not up to the expected pressures of such a heavy design. However, its armor protection and 90mm main gun were quality improvements over that of the M4 Sherman. The M26 saw service in the Korean War up until it was withdrawn from frontline service in 1951.
The relative disappointment that was the M26 as a medium tank spurred development of an improved form beginning in 1948. The poorer qualities of the M26 were revised to include a new engine and transmission system centered around strong armor protection and the proven 90mm main gun. The initiative bore the experimental designation of "M26E2", showcasing its M26 Pershing roots, until changes became so numerous in the design that the product earned its own designation of "M46" in 1949. The M46 was further nicknamed the "Patton" in honor of the famous American World War 2 General George S. Patton of the US Third Army.
The M46 was a 48.5 ton design, categorized as a true medium tank from the beginning. It managed a running length of 8.48 meters with a width of 3.51 meters and height of 3.18 meters. The vehicle was crewed in the standard fashion by five men - a driver (seated front-left in the hull), the tank commander, a dedicated gunner and loader and the assistant driver/bow machine gunner. Armor protection was 102mm at its thickest, primarily along the front and sides. Power was served through a Continental AVDS-1790-5A series V-12, air-cooled, twin-turbo, gasoline-fueled engine of 810 horsepower output residing in a rear hull compartment. The engine was mated to a General Motors/Allison CD-850-3 series transmission system with 2 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. Performance included a top speed of 30 miles per hour and an operational range of 80 miles (in ideal circumstances). The vehicle was suspended atop a torsion bar configuration which allowed for adequate cross-country travel. The running gear included a six double-tired wheeled configuration with the drive sprocket at the rear and the track idler at the front. Armament was made up of the 90mm M3A1 main gun along with 2 x .30 caliber M1919A4 tank machine guns for self-defense (one fitted coaxially in the turret, fired alongside the main gun, and the other in the front-right hull). The turret offered a full 360-degree traversal of the main gun with limited elevation and was fitted just ahead of amidships with noticeable overhang at the rear over the engine compartment. The main gun barrel sported a single baffled muzzle brake and bore evacuator sleeve. The design would become the basic template for near-future American tank designs until the arrival of the M1 Abrams in the early 1980s.