Staff Writer (Updated: 6/23/2016):
Grumman had already proven itself a capable aviation firm with carrier-based fighter products spanning as far back as the early 1930's. The F4F Wildcat proved a pivotal Allied stalwart in the early and middle stages of the Pacific Theater, in both defensive and offensive roles. The much improved F6F Hellcat - featuring the powerful Pratt & Whitney "Double Wasp" radial piston engine - ratcheted the bar up a few notches and helped to win back air superiority for the Allies for the remainder of the war. It becomes no surprise then that the same bureau that produced these two excellent aircraft would leave no stone unturned when creating a successor in the "cat" family line. With development beginning as early as 1941, Grumman engineers would set out to create the ultimate form of carrier-based fighter aircraft anywhere in the world. To make this ultimate vision a reality, Grumman engineers would stay with the proven Hellcat powerplant - the Pratt & Whitney brand R-2800 series Double Wasp engine - the same engine that would power what could be considered the pinnacle of American piston-powered flight in the upcoming Grumman F8F Bearcat navy fighter.
This resulting Grumman design emerged as a large, twin-engine, single-seat fighter. First flight of the first of two XF7F-1 prototype occurred in December 1943. Though an excellent and capable aircraft, it was already proving to be too large for the Midway-class of aircraft carriers and the power supplied by the twin Double Wasp engines made it simply too fast for general carrier operations where the Midway-class was concerned. Additionally, the Tigercat performed poorly when running on a single engine and issues arose with the arrestor hook during trials.
As such, the F7F Tigercat would initially have to be relegated to operations from land-bases despite its carrier pedigree. This ultimately led to its selection and primary use by the USMC who ordered 500 of the type even before the prototype's first flight. Production deliveries began in April of 1944. Though the war in Europe and the Pacific was still in full swing by this time, the Tigercat did not gain the usual required operational level of clearance to perform in a combat nature during these closing months of the war. By the time of cessation of hostilities by mid-1945, the Tigercat was all but too late for the big dance. As fate would have it, the aircraft designed and produced during the height of the Second World War would eventually miss the conflict in whole.
The Tigercat was designed as a sleek and fast performer with hard-hitting standard armament. The fuselage was of the smallest possible cross-section and featured a pointed nose assembly, single-seat cockpit and conventional empennage. The pilot was afforded good forward and above visibility though his views left, right and to the rear were limited to an extent. Views left and right were partially obstructed by the radial engine nacelles slung underneath each mid-mounted monoplane wing. The wings themselves were hinged outboard of the engines for ease of storage (hence its carrier-based origins). The tricycle landing gear arrangement was unique, particularly for this class of large fighter. Bell had gained attention for using the tricycle undercarriage arrangement in its World War 2-era P-39 "Airacobra" series but for the most part, undercarriages of the period were traditionally still of the "tail dragger" variety even concerning large fighters. The F7F's undercarriage arrangement featured two main landing gear systems retracting rearwards into the underside of each engine nacelle. Likewise, the nose-mounted landing gear retracted in this same fashion. All of the landing struts were afforded a single wheel.
A large airframe made for some large possibilities in terms of armament. Conventional American wisdom throughout the war had been the use of multiple machine guns fitted to the wings. With a high rate of fire and the damage capabilities of such an armament, the choice was an easy one for aircraft manufacturers to make. The Tigercat, however, took this a step further. The Soviets and the Germans had already proven to themselves via real-world experience the value inherent in a cannon-laden fighter aircraft when combating enemy bombers. Though not offering the same high rate-of-fire as their heavy machine gun kin, cannons offered greater lethality per round as a single cannon projectile could pose an exponential threat to an enemy bomber's complex internal systems (particularly the engines) than could a flurry of machine gun fire. A such, the F7F received the best of both worlds, being armed with a battery of 4 x M2 series cannons (mounted in the wingroots, two to a side) and complimented by a collection of 4 x M2 Browning air-cooled, heavy machine guns as standard (fitted to the fuselage underside, two guns to a side - this armament was eventually removed in later versions of the aircraft). This choice of armament provided an already impressive airframe with the power to contend with just about anything available in the skies.