Staff Writer (Updated: 9/3/2015):
The Curtiss P-36 Hawk aircraft saw considerable operational service in the years leading up to, and during, World War 2. Its basic appearance was not unlike Curtiss' more famous product - the P-40 Warhawk - and sported a heavily framed canopy and raise fuselage spine. Though not an overly impressive aircraft by any stretch, the P-36 Hawk nonetheless was a serviceable mount that could - at the very least - help national air forces compete against the likes of the Axis powers. Donovan Berlin was attributed with the design of the aircraft and a first flight was achieved on May 6th, 1935. The aircraft was formally introduced into service in 1938 and it was not - amazingly - fully retired until 1954, this with Argentina. Despite the 215 or so P-36s produced for the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC), the Hawk made more of a splash in foreign hands (as the Hawk 75 and Mohawk) which accounted for 900 examples.
Curtiss P-36G Hawk (Hawk 75 / Mohawk) (1938)
National Origin: United States
Manufacturer(s): Curtiss - USA
Production Total: 1,115
28.51 feet (8.69 meters)
37.01 feet (11.28 meters)
9.25 feet (2.82 meters)
4,676 lb (2,121 kg)
5,880 lb (2,667 kg)
1 x Wright R-1820-G205A Cyclone piston radial engine developing 1,200 horsepower.
322 mph (518 kmh; 280 knots)
650 miles (1,046 km)
32,349 feet (9,860 meters; 6.1 miles)
2,500 feet-per-minute (762 m/min)
Armament / Mission Payload:
1 x 0.50 caliber heavy machine gun
1 x 0.30 caliber machine gun
2 x 0.50 caliber heavy machine guns in engine cowl.
2 to 6 x 0.30 caliber heavy machine guns in wings
2 x 23mm Madsen autocannons underwing
Underwing drop bombs of various weights.
Design of the P-36 was conventional though it did promote several rather evolutionary features for its time including an enclosed cockpit and a powered, fully-retractable undercarriage. The engine was traditional mounted at the front of the fuselage and powered a three-blade propeller assembly. The fuselage was tubular and tapered at the rear. The wings were low-mounted and straight in their design with rounded wing tips. The cockpit was set above and behind the wing assemblies and offered up adequate views. The fuselage spine was raised, however, which made a clear view to the "six" nearly impossible. The canopy was also heavily framed in true 1930s fashion. The empennage consisted of a single, rounded vertical tail fin and applicable rounded horizontal planes. The undercarriage was conventional with two single-wheeled main landing gear legs and a small tail wheel for ground maneuvering.
Basic armament was rather weak by comparison to other American warplanes of the war, consisting of a 1 x 0.50 caliber M2 Browning heavy machine gun and 1 x 0.30 caliber M1919 Browning general purpose machine gun. Later production versions featured 2 x 0.50 caliber heavy machine guns in the engine cowl synchronized to fire through the spinning propeller blades. This was further supplemented by the addition of 2 or 4 x 0.30 caliber machine guns in the wings. Still later production models were given provision for 2 x underwing drop bombs (100lbs each) or 3 x 50lb bombs or 5 x 30lb bombs allowing pilots to undertake strike missions with their fighter.
Power for the P-36A production model was provided for by a single Pratt & Whitney R-1830-17 Twin Wasp air-cooled radial piston engine of 1,050 horsepower. Radial piston engines in the war gave good performance while being able to withstand much more punishment than their sexier liquid-cooled brethren. Performance specifications included a top speed of 313 miles per hour with a range of 625 miles and a service ceiling of approximately 32,700 feet. Rate of climb was 3,400 feet per minute. ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Continue to Page 2 (of 2) >>