Tupolev TB-3 Four-Engine Heavy Bomber Aircraft
An interwar design, the Soviet Tupolev TB-3 served from 1932 into the fighting years of World War 2.
Authored By Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Success in completing the 216-strong fleet of Tupolev TB-1 heavy bombers for the burgeoning Soviet Air Force led Tupolev OKB to head another large aircraft project of the period - the "TB-3" (development designation of "ANT-6"). Development of this system also occurred in the mid-1920s but involved a dimensionally larger, heavier four-engined approach (as opposed to the TB-1's twin-engine arrangement). Tangible work began in 1926 and the Soviet Air Force finalized its requirements before the end of the decade.
Four American Curtiss V-1570 "Conqueror" engines were initially selected to power the aircraft until the locally-produced Mikulin M-17 engine (720 horsepower) could be gotten (these were license-produced German BMW VIz engines at their core). Outwardly the design adopted much of the form of the earlier TB-1 including its deep, slab-sided fuselage, low-set monoplane wings and single-rudder tail unit. The "tail-dragger" undercarriage (wheeled) was also retained though eventually modified with additional wheels during development. Unlike the TB-1's crew of six, the TB-3's human commitment numbered just four though, like the TB-1, the TB-3 relied on corrugated metal for skinning - a technique developed by German Hugo Junkers during World War 1 (1914-1918).