Waters Model 1836
The Model 1836 arrived at the tail-end of the flintlock-era, soon to be replaced in history by the percussion cap.
Authored By: Staff Writer | Last Edited:
The Waters Model 1836 flintlock pistol was delivered by Asa Waters & Company out of their Millbury, Massachusetts factory. The pistol featured a conventional curved hand grip, fine wood finish and the applicable cock lever and flash pan assembly associated with this classification of weapon. The accessories were offset to the right side of the weapon body. The barrel protruded out from the wood body encasement and was single banded just ahead of the main body. The barrel was adorned with a simple front post. A ramrod was fitted under the barrel. The triangular trigger was protected via a thin U-shaped trigger guard. The Model 1836 made up a US government order of some 4,000 pistols, each purchased for just nine dollars at the time.
Though a serviceable flintlock by any means, the Model 1836 was nonetheless cursed to a limited existence for the 200-year-old hold that flintlock technology maintained on the arms industry was all but over with the arrival of the percussion cap firing system. As such, some Model 1836's saw their workings converted to the new percussion cap technology when possible to help extend their usefulness.