The Springfield Model 1817 Type 1 was a flintlock pistol produced out of the Springfield Armory in Springfield, Massachusetts. The pistol was chambered to fire a single shot in .69 caliber and featured a barrel length of 10.75 inches. She sported an external design much in line with the flintlock pistols of her day complete with a metal curved grip and applicable cock lever and flash pan (also known as a "frizzen"), both of the latter offset to the right side of the weapon's body. The trigger was fitted just under the major workings and set within a slim metal trigger guard. The barrel sat within the accompanying woodwork with the ramrod resting just underneath the barrel itself.
As an interesting aside, Springfield Armory had in fact produced the components that made up the Model 1817 pistol prior to the War of 1812 (the four-year, mostly-naval conflict between the United States and Great Britain). It was only after 1815 that the assembly of the pistols was completed and made available, production now being handled by Harper's Ferry and not Springfield Armory.
The Springfield Armory got its start way back in 1794 as a producer and supplier of military weapons to the burgeoning United States military. This particular installation was responsible for some 400 Model 1817s in circulation before the end of the pistol's production run.