WW2 German Pocket Battleships
Naval Warfare History | Second World War
The German Navy worked around the Treaty of Versailles limitations to create this special group of steel warships.
Pocket Battleships were built by the German Navy in the pre-World War 2 period and partly used to circumvent the restrictions of the Versailles Treaty imposed on the nation after the close of World War 1 (1914-1918). The three warships of the Deutschland-class were built between 1929 and 1936 and served from 1933 until the end of the Second World War in 1945 - two being scuttled while one was sunk during that span. The trio violated the weight restriction of 10,000 tons, tipping the scales at 12,540 tons, and relied on welding in their construction with a diesel-centric propulsion as weight-saving measures. Each ship carried 6 x 11-inch guns in the primary battery - thus earning them the nickname of 'Pocket' battleship by British observers. To the Germans, these warships served as heavy cruisers for their part in naval history.
There are a total of [ 3 ] WW2 German Pocket Battleships entries in the Military Factory. Entries are listed below in alphanumeric order (1-to-Z). Flag images indicative of country of origin and not necessarily the primary operator.