During the late 1920s, the Regia Marina (Italian Navy) of the Kingdom of Italy invested in a new type of destroyer warship known as the Turbine-class. This class numbered eight strong and was led by Turbine herself. The eight named ships of the family were Aquilone, Borea, Espero, Euro, Nembo, Ostro, Turbine and Zeffiro. Amazingly, all were lost - one way of another- in action with six alone sunk during the fighting of 1940 (World War 2). Turbine was completed by shipbuilder Odero on August 27th, 1927.
The Turbine-class ships followed the Sauro-class ships in Italian Navy service with the main difference being the newer destroyers' length was increased by nearly 10 feet for slightly better ocean-going performance. The bridge section was heavily fortified for improved survivability. The Turbine-class also marked the last Italian destroyers to be outfitted with the shorter /45 caliber 4.7" guns as primary for newer designs moved on to the longer /50 caliber form.
The Turbine displaced 1,100 tons under standard load and 1,700 tons under full load. Overall length was 305.8 feet with a beam of 30 feet and a draught of 9.9 feet. Power was from 3 x boiler units feeding 2 x Parsons geared-steam turbines developing 40,000 horsepower and driving 2 x shafts. The vessel was trialed at speeds of 39 knots but, in practice, was operated closer to 33 knots. Range was a useful 3,200 nautical miles.
The ship's profile incorporated the bridge superstructure (with main mast) well-forward in the design, just aft of the primary turret arranged over the forecastle. At midships were the smoke funnels seated in line and then, aft o this, were torpedo tubes on their trainable mounts. At the aft-end of the warship was the aft superstructure capped by a second mast. These long vessels were well-powered and armed for the destroyer role while their shallow draughts gave them good close-to-shore capabilities should they be needed. Aboard were about 180 men.
The armament fit was led by 2 x 4.7" guns in twin-gunned mountings (one mounted fore and the other aft) followed by 2 x 40mm Anti-Aircraft (AA) cannons in single-gunned mountings. A pair of 13.2mm AA machine guns in single-gunned mounts were also fitted for additional AA work. Turbine carried 2 x 21" (533mm) triple torpedo launchers. The warship could also carry around 50 naval mines for mining strategic waterways and denying passage to any ship as a result.
Notable actions involving the Turbine included the shelling of Sallum (or "Sollum", located at the extreme Northwest corner of the country of Egypt) with two of her sisters on June 16th and then again on June 24th of 1940. On June 27th of that same year, she was credited with the sinking of HMS Orpheus, a British Royal Navy attack submarine, off the coast of contested Tobruk during the North African campaign. Her sailing days with the Kingdom of Italy came to an abrupt end with the Italian surrender of September of 1943. The warship was then taken over by the Germans and served in their Navy service under the designation of "TA14" until her end arrived on September 16th, 1944 when she fell victim to United States Army Air Force aircraft at Salamis (Salamis Island, as part of the country of Greece).