The Battle of Jutland of May 31st, 1916 - June 1st, 1916 was the notable clash of the British "Grant Fleet" and the German Empire's "High Seas Fleet" during the fighting of World War 1 (1914-1918). The battle marked the largest of its kind on water during the whole of the war and the only one to involve battleships on a large scale. With both sides claiming the victory, the battle was viewed as inconclusive - the Allies managing to keep the German fleet contained for the remainder of the war though at the loss of more Royal Navy ships than German in the engagement.
One of the participants of the battle was HMS Caroline, a C-class light cruiser belonging to a 28-strong class of fighting ships (these built across seven distinct groups). The design was developed specifically to contend with the unforgiving North Sea environment, the body of Atlantic water that separates Britain from Western and Northern Europe coastlines. Through sound design and wartime results, the ships of the class proved their worth in the conflict and the post-war period, noted for their general ruggedness.
HMS Caroline was laid down on January 28th, 1914 by shipbuilder Cammell Laird and launched on September 29th of that year. She was formally commissioned on December 4th, 1914 and fought under the motto of "Tenax Propositi" ("Tenacious of Purpose"). As of 2020, she is the only surviving member of the Battle of Jutland, preserved as a floating museum in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
The vessel had a triple smoke funnel arrangement when viewed in the side profile. The bow was largely unobstructed and the bridge superstructure jutted at the aft-end of the forecastle with an integrated main mast. The funnels sat near midships and a secondary superstructure followed with another mast. A third, pole-type mast was seated still aft. The hull line was noticeably raised at the forecastle and stepped before midships but ran unbroken for the length of the craft. Aboard was a typical crew complement of 325 personnel and armor protection reached up to 3 inches at the belt and 1 inch across the decks.
As a C-class cruiser, Caroline displaced 3,750 tons under normal loads and could exceed 4,700 tons when fully laden. Dimensions included a bow-to-stern length of 446 feet with a beam measuring 41.5 feet, and a draught down to 16 feet. Power was from 6 x Oil-fired boiler units feeding 4 x Parsons geared steam turbines developing 40,000 horsepower used to drive 4 x shafts under stern. This provided the ship with headway speeds (in ideal conditions) of nearly 29 knots with a range out to 5,900 nautical miles.
As built, armament centered on a primary of 2 x 6" (152mm) BL /45 caliber Mk XII guns backed by 8 x 4" (102mm) /45 caliber Mk V secondary guns and a single 6-pounder (57mm) Hotchkiss cannon. 4 x 21" (533mm) torpedo tubes were also carried. Later, her armament suite was revised to included 2 x 3" (76mm) Anti-Aircraft (AA) guns in place of the 4" QF weapons and the 6-pounder Hotchkiss was deleted.
During World War 1, Caroline was a constant North Sea presence and became part of the Grand Fleet almost as soon as she was commissioned. By the time of Jutland, she was part of the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron and, at one point, was finished with a "fly-off" platform to serve Royal Navy Air Service / Royal Air Force aircraft - a novel, yet ground-breaking concept for the time. She served in her position until November 1918 - which saw the end of the war through the Armistice.
In the post-war years (1919 onwards), she was reassigned to the East Indies and ultimately recalled to be placed in reserve in 1922. In February of 1924, the ship was recommissioned to be used for training at Belfast, Northern Ireland. With the arrival of World War 2 (1939-1945), Caroline was set up as the Royal Navy HQ at Belfast - the harbor's strategic position growing in value with each passing month of the conflict. After the Second World War, Caroline was placed into Volunteer Reserve status and continued training new generations of Royal Navy personnel. In 1951, she was given a refit at Belfast and served in her teaching role until formally decommissioned for good on March 31st, 2011 with efforts to preserve her proving successful.
The "Military Factory" name and MilitaryFactory.com logo are registered ® U.S. trademarks protected by all applicable domestic and international intellectual property laws. All written content, illustrations, and photography are unique to this website (unless where indicated) and not for reuse/reproduction in any form. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value only and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance, or general operation. We do not sell any of the items showcased on this site. Please direct all other inquiries to militaryfactory AT gmail.com.
Part of a network of sites that includes GlobalFirepower, a data-driven property used in ranking the top military powers of the world and WDMMA.org, the World Directory of Modern Military Aircraft.