SHIP CLASS: Minotaur-class
SHIPS-IN-CLASS (3): HMS Minotaur; HMS Agincourt; HMS Northumberland
OPERATORS: United Kingdom
LENGTH: 671.6 feet (204.70 meters)
BEAM: 89 feet (27.13 meters)
DRAUGHT: 27 feet (8.23 meters)
DISPLACEMENT (SURFACE): 10,642 tons
PROPULSION: 1 x Maudslay 2-cylinder engine with an output of 6,700 horsepower to 1 x shaft; Sails across 5 x masts.
SPEED (SURFACE): 15 knots (17 miles-per-hour)
RANGE: 2,736 nautical miles (3,148 miles; 5,066 kilometers)
Detailing the development and operational history of the HMS Agincourt (1865) Ironclad Warship.
Entry last updated on 8/14/2017.
Authored by Staff Writer. Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com.
HMS Agincourt was an ironclad vessel of the British Royal Navy, serving from 1865 through to 1909. The ship was a hybrid sail/steam-powered design, with sails on five masts yet a Maudslay 2-cylinder steam engine as primary propulsion. The type was characterized by her armored iron hull, rigging and twin funnels. The Agincourt was from a family of three ships in the Minotaur-class that included HMS Minotaur and HMS Northumberland.
Armament of HMS Agincourt in 1868 consisted of 4 x 9" main guns supplemented by an additional 24 x 7" cannons, both styles of rifled muzzle-loading types. She was re-armed in 1875 to carry 17 x 9" main guns (still of the muzzle-loading variety) and 2 x 20-pounder cannons, these being of smoothbore type. Her complement remained consistent throughout her career and was made up of 800 personnel, though about 700 could be used in emergencies. Her armor was 5 inches thick at the belt with up to 10 inches of teak backing.
HMS Agincourt set out for service in 1865, officially being commissioned in a few years later. Her type was highly respected for its sheer firepower and armor protection and found her way into the fleet. The vessel ran aground in 1871 and suffered some damage but was repaired in time to continue service, moreso as a deterrent to war than as an actual warship. Her active career ended rather in-gloriously by the end of the 19th Century, to which the vessel was used as a floating trainer. Her end journey brought her to Sheerness, where she was removed of her military value and converted into a coal ship.
The Agincourt took on many official names during her lifespan. These included HMS Captain (in fact her name when she was being laid down), Agincourt (once launched), Boscawen III, Ganges II and lastly and simply - C.109. Like most other ships of her time, she fell by the wayside and few efforts were made to preserve her. She fell to the scrap yard in 1960 after decades of faithful service to her nation. HMS Agincourt of 1865 was first laid down in October of 1861, launched in 1865 and completed in June of 1867.
Where applicable, the appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), Russian Ministry of Defense, Chinese Ministry of Defense or British Ministry of Defence visual information does not imply or constitute endorsement of this website (www.MilitaryFactory.com). Images marked with "www.MilitaryFactory.com" or featuring the Military Factory logo are copyrighted works exclusive to this site and not for reuse in any form.