In 1930, the Czech Army moved on adoption of two new artillery pieces to fulfill the field gun and howitzer battlefield roles. The former became the "76.5mm kanon vz 30" while the latter became the "100mm houfnice vz 30". These guns were both based on an earlier design which saw export to Romania and Yugoslavia during 1928. Skoda Works of Pilsen, Czechoslovakia was responsible for the design, development, and production of these artillery systems.
The primary feature of these products was their 80-degree elevation action which originally intended the guns for the anti-aircraft role as well as general field support. When the anti-aircraft function proved limiting, the guns were marketed on more traditional qualities - particularly the howitzer model as it could make for an effective mountain warfare artillery solution. Compared with the original 100mm houfnice vz 28 product, the 100mm houfnice vz 30 was give new rubber-tired road wheels when taken on the Czech Army.
Despite their availability, the guns never fired a shot in anger during the German takeover of Czechoslovakia in the late 1930s. The Skoda Works facility now fell under the control of the Germans to which existing stocks of the guns, and any future units, components, and ammunition, would be made available solely to the German Army. In German Army service, the 100mm houfnice vz 30 was designated as the 10cm leFH 30(t) to mark their Czech origins. They went on to prove themselves highly effective and efficient battlefield pieces and saw service through to the end of the war in 1945.