MANUFACTURER(S): Ford Motor Company St. Paul - USA
LENGTH: 16.40 feet (5 meters)
WIDTH: 8.20 feet (2.5 meters)
HEIGHT: 7.55 feet (2.3 meters)
WEIGHT: 6 Tons (5,556 kilograms; 12,249 pounds)
ENGINE: 1 x Hercules JXD gasoline engine developing 86 horsepower at 2,800rpm.
SPEED: 56 miles-per-hour (90 kilometers-per-hour)
RANGE: 249 miles (400 kilometers)
Detailing the development and operational history of the M20 (G-176) Six-Wheeled Light Armored Reconnaissance Utility Car.
Entry last updated on 7/13/2018.
Authored by Staff Writer. Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com.
The M20 (U.S. Army identifier of G-176) was a reconnaissance/general purpose utility car adopted by the United States Army during World War 2 (1939-1945). Development produced a vehicle with a 6x6 wheel arrangement capable of cross-country travel through use of large road wheels, a capable powerpack and running gear, and suitable suspension system. Similar in form to the famous M8 "Greyhound" line of 6x6 armored cars also used by the Army, the M20 differed in its indirect combat role - usually outfitted with just a single machine gun for self-defense, personal defense weapons carried by the crew, and communications equipment including support for several radio sets. Manufacture was handled by Ford Motor Company from its St. Paul, Minnesota plant where 3,791 vehicles were eventually produced- this from July of 1943 to June of 1945.
The M20 was primarily to serve as a commander's vehicle for in-the-field work and lacked the cannon-armed turret of its M8 sister. Instead, an open-topped hull was used to provide unfettered access for the commander and crew to the goings on outside of the vehicle - whether observing maneuvers or artillery fire or other battlefield-related work. The M20 was simply armed through a single 0.50 M2 Browning heavy machine gun for defense against low-flying aircraft, light-armored vehicles, or infantry. This could be replaced with a single 0.30 caliber Browning M1919 machine gun which fired the smaller cartridge and therefore was allowed more ammunition boxes. The gun was fitted to trolley-and-cradle arrangement to make it trainable and this setup sat within a M49 series ring mount. Beginning in August of 1944, the mount was upgraded to the M66 standard.
A typical operating crew number six personnel. In addition to the provided main armament, it was strongly recommended that the crew personally arm themselves on any journey as insurance should they come under fire from the enemy or be separated from the main fighting force. As such, operators stocked their vehicles with manner of small arms including carbines, service rifles, submachine guns, pistols, hand grenades, and anti-tank mines.
Where applicable, the appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), Russian Ministry of Defense, Chinese Ministry of Defense or British Ministry of Defence visual information does not imply or constitute endorsement of this website (www.MilitaryFactory.com). Images marked with "www.MilitaryFactory.com" or featuring the Military Factory logo are copyrighted works exclusive to this site and not for reuse in any form.