The Kawasaki Ki-60 was an ultimately abandoned interceptor/fighter design that was attempted as early as 1941 with the program born to an Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) requirement for such an aircraft in 1939. The fighter would utilize a liquid-cooled inline piston engine and refined aerodynamics to promote a strong rate-of-climb while utilizing cannon as primary armament to contend with the latest in Allied offerings - particularly the larger, heavier bomber types. The engine of choice became the German Daimler-Benz DB 601 series inline which was locally manufactured in Japan as the Kawasaki "Ha-40", set to deliver 1,175 horsepower output. Kawasaki also undertook the design and development of the airframe and this work was attributed to engineers Takeo Doi and Shin Owada. Doi ultimately participated in several notable Japanese aircraft designs including the Ki-45 "Toryu" heavy fighter and Ki-100 fighter.
The Ki-60 was to become a part of a two-phase program, the Ki-60 representing the heavier, cannon-armed interceptor against the lighter, machine gun-armed fighter in the Ki-61 "Hien". Work on the Ki-60 began in February of 1940 and led to a completed, flyable form by March of 1941. By this time, the Japanese Empire was fully embroiled in the World War against the major parties of the Pacific Theater, primarily the British along with her commonwealth allies (it would not be until December of 1941 that the United States would officially declare war on Japan).
The Ki-60 was originally intended to carry 2 x 0.50 caliber Ho-103 heavy machine guns in the nose and 2 x 20mm Mauser MG 151 cannons in the wings which would have given it formidable firepower against any modern aircraft type of the period. The nose guns were synchronized to fire through the spinning propeller blades and installed slightly offset from one another - the left-side gun projecting slightly further than the right-side installation. The Mauser cannons were fitted in the wings, one gun to a wing. While slower firing and with a limited ammunition supply compared to the machine guns, cannons were excellent in bringing down larger bomber aircraft whose frames were keen to absorb much punishment from machine gun weapons. A single cannon shell could wreak havoc through a direct hit on an engine, therefore putting the entire bomber in jeopardy. As an interceptor, the Ki-60 did not require provision for external munitions such as bombs and no mention of aerial rockets was made.
The Ki-60 was of a largely conventional external configuration with the engine set within a forward compartment, the cockpit at the middle and a tapered empennage. The inline engine drove a three-bladed propeller assembly which was synchronized with two machine guns mounted in the cowling. The cockpit was set just ahead of midships with adequate views over the nose and to the sides. The canopy was lightly frames with a raised spine aft, though the aft section was completed as transparent to improve views to the "six". The raised spine projected a deep fuselage for the aircraft, as did the radiator installation between the wing main units. Each main wing unit was straight in its design with rounded tips and housed a cannon or machine gun installation with their applicable ammunition supply. The tail unit sported a single vertical fin (rounded) and low-set horizontal planes. The undercarriage included a pair of retractable main legs (single wheeled) and a tail wheel. This presented the aircraft with a "nose up" appearance when at rest and, coupled to the poor visibility out of the cockpit, made for tricky ground running and taxiing for the pilot.
As built, the prototype Ki-60 tested below expectations, proving too heavy and sluggish at the controls than expected and providing some dangerous flight characteristics to boot. Her top recorded speed was just 350 miles per hour. As such, the follow-up prototypes were revised while they were still under construction at Kawasaki. The Mauser cannons were dropped to reduce weight and replaced by lighter Ho-103 heavy machine guns instead - in effect reducing the interceptor's general effectiveness in combat to just four machine guns. The wing area was increased for better stability and general aerodynamic refinements to the fuselage were made. A second and third prototype were ultimately completed to this new standard but only managed to increase maximum speed by 10 miles per hour while their climb rate was pedestrian for an interceptor type - reaching 16,000 feet in six minutes. The listed operating ceiling was a useful 32,800 feet.
Note: The above text is EXCLUSIVE to the site www.MilitaryFactory.com. It is the product of many hours of research and work made possible with the help of contributors, veterans, insiders, and topic specialists. If you happen upon this text anywhere else on the internet or in print, please let us know at MilitaryFactory AT gmail DOT com so that we may take appropriate action against the offender / offending site and continue to protect this original work.
The "Military Factory" name and MilitaryFactory.com logo are registered ® U.S. trademarks protected by all applicable domestic and international intellectual property laws. All written content, illustrations, and photography are unique to this website (unless where indicated) and not for reuse/reproduction in any form. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value only and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance, or general operation. We do not sell any of the items showcased on this site. Please direct all other inquiries to militaryfactory AT gmail.com. No A.I. was used in the generation of this content; site is 100% curated by humans.