×
Aircraft / Aviation Vehicles & Artillery Small Arms Warships & Submarines Military Ranks Military Pay Scale (2024) Special Forces

Pitcairn PCA-2


Twin-Seat, Single-Engine Utility Autogyro Air Vehicle


United States | 1931



"Neither true fixed-wing aircraft or helicopter, the Pitcairn PCA-2 fell into the autogyro category and managed over twenty production vehicles."

Power & Performance
Those special qualities that separate one aircraft design from another. Performance specifications presented assume optimal operating conditions for the Pitcairn PCA-2 Twin-Seat, Single-Engine Utility Autogyro Air Vehicle.
1 x Wright R-975-J6-9 engine developing 330 horsepower and used to drive a two-bladed wooden propeller at the nose (Overhead four-bladed main rotor was unpowered).
Propulsion
118 mph
190 kph | 103 kts
Max Speed
15,010 ft
4,575 m | 3 miles
Service Ceiling
289 miles
465 km | 251 nm
Operational Range
Structure
The nose-to-tail, wingtip-to-wingtip physical qualities of the Pitcairn PCA-2 Twin-Seat, Single-Engine Utility Autogyro Air Vehicle.
2
(MANNED)
Crew
23.1 ft
7.05 m
O/A Length
30.0 ft
(9.15 m)
O/A Width
2,238 lb
(1,015 kg)
Empty Weight
3,009 lb
(1,365 kg)
MTOW
Variants
Notable series variants as part of the Pitcairn PCA-2 family line.
PCA-2 - Base Series Designation; definitive production model.
PCA-3 - One-off variant; fitted with Pratt & Whitney "Wasp Junior" radial engine driving 48-foot main rotor.
PA-21 - Variant equipped with Wright R-975-E2 engine.
OP-1 - Variant for USN trials in reconnaissance role; two aircraft purchased for evaluation.


Authored By: Staff Writer | Last Edited: 08/18/2019 | Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com | The following text is exclusive to this site; No A.I. was used in the generation of this content.

The autogyro was a Spanish development by engineer Juan de la Cierva during the early part of the 1920s and was meant to produce an aircraft that was relatively safe to fly in low-speed, low-altitude envelopes. The design became a mix of fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter theories that included a basic open-air-cockpit fuselage equipped with a nose-mounted engine / propeller combination coupled with an overhead main rotor unit. The primary difference between a true helicopter and an autogyro, however, lay in the main rotor's unpowered nature: the onboard engine was used to drive a traditional propeller unit to obtain the needed forward thrust and the main rotor only coming into play once airflow over (and up through) the blades was sufficient (thus causing rotation and lift).

The Pitcairn Aircraft Company was founded in 1926 to manufacture such aircraft and it was headed by Harold F. Pitcairn. In 1928, he secured the rights to produce the Spanish-originated Cierva C.8W autogyro model and a holding company emerged the following year. In 1931, the PCA-2 was first-flown and became the first autogyro to be certified for commercial airspace flight in the United States. The type went on to become the focus of several record-breaking ventures regarding aircraft (as well as several notable failed attempts) including a successful cross-country flight by John Miller in his "Missing Link" PCA-2. 1931 also saw the Detroit News become the first American news organization to invest in the autogyro to help collect more dramatic overhead shots of a given story.

Initial production models were designated simply as PCA-2 and these carried the Wright R-975 (J6-9) radial piston engine of 330 horsepower. The PCA-3 followed as a one-off investment which switched to the Pratt & Whitney "Wasp Junior" air-cooled radial engine driving a 48-foot main rotor. The PA-21 was equipped with the Wright R-975-E2 engine instead. The United States Navy (USN) entertained the thought of operating autogyros in the shipborne reconnaissance role and contracted for two PCA-2 aircraft under the designation of OP-1. Trials were had in 1931 but the results did not warrant serial procurement of the type.

The PCA-2 had a traditional aircraft body (fuselage) with a crew of two seated in tandem in separate open-air cockpits. The fuselage held the traditional, and conventional, engine fit at the nose to drive a two-bladed wooden propeller unit in tractor ("puller") fashion. The wing mainplanes were low-mounted under the fuselage and set well-head of midships, completed with up-turned wingtips. Under each wing mainplane was seated fixed, wheeled main landing gear legs. The aft section of the fuselage was conventional in that it was tapered towards the rear of the aircraft and capped by a single vertical tailfin mated with low-mounted horizontal planes.

Over the top of the front cockpit was installed the main (unpowered) rotor atop a tubular tripod assembly. This was a four-bladed component designed to capture forward airflow over and upwards through the blades to produce lift (rotation being the visual effect). The intended result would be a low-flying, low-speed aircraft that was theoretically easier to handle and control for most pilots.

Dimensions of the end-product included a length of 23 feet and a wingspan of 30 feet. Empty weight was listed at 2,230lb against an MTOW of 3,000lb. Installed power (PCA-2) was a Wright R-975 (J6-9) 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine developing 330 horsepower. Performance specs included a maximum speed of 18 miles per hour, a range out to 290 miles and a service ceiling of 15,010 feet.

Between twenty and thirty of these autogyros were completed by Pitcairn for their time in the air. The company, based out of Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, went defunct in 1948 but not before several name changes. Its OP-1, built in two examples during 1932, was the first autogyro to receive any real military interest but this project did not materialize into useful global sales so little was had from the endeavor.

Content ©MilitaryFactory.com; No Reproduction Permitted.
Operators
Global customers who have evaluated and/or operated the Pitcairn PCA-2. Nations are displayed by flag, each linked to their respective national aircraft listing.

Total Production: 25 Units

Contractor(s): Pitcairn-Cierva Autogiro Company - USA
National flag of the United States

[ United States (retired) ]
1 / 1
Image of the Pitcairn PCA-2
Image from the Public domain.

Going Further...
The Pitcairn PCA-2 Twin-Seat, Single-Engine Utility Autogyro Air Vehicle appears in the following collections:
HOME
AVIATION INDEX
AIRCRAFT BY COUNTRY
AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURERS
COMPARE AIRCRAFT
AIRCRAFT BY CONFLICT
AIRCRAFT BY TYPE
AIRCRAFT BY DECADE
GOLDEN AGE AIRCRAFT
X-PLANE AIRCRAFT
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Cookies

2024 Military Pay Scale Military Ranks of the World U.S. Department of Defense Dictionary Conversion Calculators Military Alphabet Code Military Map Symbols Breakdown U.S. 5-Star Generals List WWII Weapons by Country

The "Military Factory" name and MilitaryFactory.com logo are registered ® U.S. trademarks protected by all applicable domestic and international intellectual property laws. All written content, illustrations, and photography are unique to this website (unless where indicated) and not for reuse/reproduction in any form. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value only and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance, or general operation. We do not sell any of the items showcased on this site. Please direct all other inquiries to militaryfactory AT gmail.com. No A.I. was used in the generation of this content.

Part of a network of sites that includes GlobalFirepower, a data-driven property used in ranking the top military powers of the world, WDMMA.org (World Directory of Modern Military Aircraft), WDMMW.org (World Directory of Modern Military Warships), SR71blackbird.org, detailing the history of the world's most iconic spyplane, and MilitaryRibbons.info, cataloguing military medals and ribbons. Special Interest: RailRoad Junction, the locomotive encyclopedia.


©2024 www.MilitaryFactory.com • All Rights Reserved • Content ©2003-2024 (21yrs)