The Albatros B.II was a reconnaissance biplane used in the early years of the First World War, particularly on the German side. The product of design of one Ernst Heinkel, a name that would appear on a variety of aircraft types in the Second World War as well, the system was a respected aircraft platform. Though phased out after several months in the reconnaissance role (such was the case with aircraft designs in the First World War), the B.II would live on throughout the war and even some years later as a trainer elsewhere. The B.II would also be the one aircraft to solidify Albatros Flugzeugwerke in Germany as a prominent brand in the industry.
The Albatros B.II was of a standard biplane design, with a twin-bladed propelled and engine mounted at front, followed by the upper and lower wing elements. The fuselage was slim and square, allowing for two crewmembers. The aircraft was not armed, however, and served as a true reconnaissance platform for the German Air Force.
In the beginning of its service tour, the B.II was able to attain altitudes of nearly 15,000 feet, garnering some attention as a result. The system would later be fielded in quantity throughout 1914, though it was already outclassed and being replaced as soon as 1915. Though its days as a frontline reconnaissance platform were over, the aircraft played a role in the training of countless German pilots till the closing months of the war.