Halberstadt D.V Biplane Fighter Aircraft
Fewer than 100 of the Halberstadt D.V biplane fighters were produced for Germany during World War 1 - some saw service into 1918.
Entry last updated on 12/16/2016; Authored by Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Service Year: 1916
Type: Biplane Fighter Aircraft
National Origin: Imperial Germany
Manufacturer(s): Halberstadt - German Empire
Total Units Built: 94
The Halberstadt D.V biplane fighter followed more in line with the preceding D.II model than the D.III or D.IV. Its primary difference was in the cabane structure which, once reworked, helped to improve pilot vision out-of-the-cockpit. However, the D.V carried the same engine as the D.III, this the Argus As II series powerplant of 120 horsepower. The single 7.92mm LMG 08/15 machine gun (synchronized) was retained but relocated from the starboard side to port. The D.V debuted over the Front in October of 1916 and fought on into mid-1917 by which point they were already outclassed as frontline platforms. The few final forms fought in the Middle East (Palestine) into 1918.
The D.V series was produced in three total batches for the German Air Service numbering some 57 total aircraft from October 1916 to June of 1917. Late production models were fielded with 2 x 7.92mm synchronized machine guns for a heftier frontal "punch". Beyond its service with the Germans, the D.V was shipped aboard for use by the Ottoman Turks during World War 1. These were made available in March of 1917 and numbered about 37 aircraft.
Maximum speed for the D.V was 100 miles per hour.