Aeromarine 75 - United States, 1923
Detailing the development and operational history of the Aeromarine 75 Passenger Flying Boat.
Entry last updated on 10/23/2017; Authored by Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
The Aeromarine 75 was nothing more than a civilian-minded conversion of the British Felixstowe F5L flying boat.
The American concern of Aeromarine converted the British Felixstowe F5L military flying boat for the civilian market. The F5L appeared during World War 1 in 1918 and was produced under the Naval Aircraft Factory, Curtiss Aircraft, and Canadian Aeroplanes Ltd brand labels, manufacture totaling 227 units. These aircraft were a further evolution of the original Felixstowe F.5 which appeared in 1917. The Aeromarine 75 did not appear in as many numbers, production totaling no more than eight aircraft. These began appearing over civilian airspace in 1923.
On the whole, the aircraft retained their general appearance, one typical of flying boats of the period. The fuselage held an integral boat-like hull for water landings and outboard pontoons to prevent tipping on turns and in high seas. The flight deck was held well-forward in the design with a commanding view out over the nose. The passenger cabin was under in the deep fuselage with large porthole windows offering outside viewing. The fuselage tapered to the empennage to which a large vertical tail fin was fitted as well as high-mounted horizontal planes. The main wing assemblies carried a biplane arrangement with a lower and upper wing element joined by strong struts and cabling. The wings also supported the twin engine configuration - these being 2 x Liberty 12A series mounts developing 400 horsepower apiece, ranging the aircraft out to 830 miles. A standard operating crew was two personnel.
Dimensions included a length of 49.2 feet, a wingspan of 103.7 feet and a height of 18.7 feet. Empty weight was listed at 8,820lb with a Maximum Take-Off Weight of 14,330lb.
No variant offshoots of the Model 75 were produced.