Blohm and Voss Bv P.192 - Nazi Germany, 1943
Detailing the development and operational history of the Blohm and Voss Bv P.192 Dive Bomber Aircraft.
Entry last updated on 6/28/2016; Authored by Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
The Blohm and Voss P.192 was a proposed replacement for the aging Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive bomber series.
The German concern of Blohm & Voss (also Blohm und Voss) is largely remembered for their commitment to shipbuilding and its large transports and flying boats servicing the German military during World War 2. However, the firm provided hundreds of experimental designs during the war of which many never proceeded beyond the paper stage. One such design initiative became the P.192, an intended ground attack / dive bomber to replace the aging and outmoded Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka" dive bomber series so critical to the war's early years.
The P.192 was a radical concept aircraft operated by a crew of one and powered by a single inline piston engine. The aircraft's overall design was rather futuristic considering the period of aviation history in question. Wings were long-spanning appendages fitted low on the fuselage at amidships in the usual way. However, they were given straight leading edges and a swept-forward trailing edge. Two small booms emanated from the leading wing edges and joined at either side of the forward-mounted cockpit. The pilot managed good views from under this bubble-style canopy and sat well-ahead of the wing assemblies. The tail unit incorporated a standard single vertical tail fin with high-mounted stabilizers. The undercarriage was to be of a tricycle arrangement utilizing a pair of single-wheeled main legs and a single-wheeled nose leg. The design sported a proposed wingspan of 42 feet, 8 inches and a running length of 38 feet, 5 inches.
The greatest departure from aviation norm was in the engine arrangement of the P.192. The engine compartment was fitted directly aft of the cockpit, ahead of amidships and powering a four-bladed propeller assembly. The engine was not configured in a "pusher" or "puller" arrangement in the true sense of those words but instead buried within the fuselage, the propeller blades protruding from the fuselage skin to enact against air flow. This is why the small booms were required at the wing leading edges, essentially to contain the cockpit ahead of the main wing appendages. On all other accounts, the P.192 was a largely conventional piston-powered aircraft.
The powerplant of choice was to have been the Daimler Benz DB 603G series inline piston engine. The DB 603 emerged from evaluations for production in May of 1942 and was used to power the likes of the Messerschmitt Me 410 fighter-bomber, Dornier Do 217 medium bomber / night fighter and the Heinkel He 219 night fighter - all of which utilized two of the engine type in their respective designs. Listed specifications for the 603G included a maximum output force of 1,874 horsepower.
Proposed armament was to be 2 x 20mm MG 151/20 cannons fitted to the small booms and a further 2 x 20mm MG 151/20 cannons in the nose assembly. For the dive bombing role, a single 1,100lb bomb would have been seated under the fuselage.