ARA General Belgrano (C-4) Light Cruiser Warship
The Argentine Navy General Belgrano cruiser - lost in the Falklands War - began life as the American Navy World War 2-era USS Phoenix.
Authored By JR Potts, AUS 173d AB and Dan Alex; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
The Argentine Navy ARA General Belgrano (C-4) warship was originally built as the American USS Phoenix (CL-46), the fifth of the Brooklyn-class cruisers, built in the United States and launched in March of 1938. She survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December of 1941 and had a valiant career with nine Battle Stars to her name. She was formally decommissioned from US Navy service in 1946.
The US Navy sold two of the Brooklyn class cruisers to Argentina - USS Phoenix CL-46
and her sister ship, USS Boise CL-47 - on April 9th, 1951. The Argentine Navy (ARA) renamed the Phoenix the "ARA 17 de Octubre (C-4)" while the Boise was renamed "ARA Nueve de Julio (C-5)". After the Peron revolution, the ARA 17 de Octubre C-4 was again renamed to the "ARA General Belgrano (C-4)" after the father of the Argentine Navy. The Belgrano performed normal sea patrols and training duties in the South Atlantic, protecting the Argentine homeland and islands that Argentina felt was its undisputed territory.