Enlisted personnel are broken down into respective "E" grades from E-1 to E-9. For those service branches that recognize a Warrant Officer rank, "W" grades range from W-1 to W-5. Officers are scaled from O-1 to O-10. The table below details the current military basic pay scale as approved by the US government (this being based on the President's Defense Budget which is approved the year prior). For 2014, the numbers indicate a 1.8% increase from the previous year. Additional related notes are presented beneath the chart though you are always encouraged to review the official US DoD military pay site - the "Defense Finance and Accounting Service'. We maintain past military pay salary charts for 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 for comparison. Pay shown is monthly and without any added benefits or bonuses.
1) Basic pay for an O-7 to O-10 is limited by Level II of the Executive Schedule which is $15,125.10. Basic pay for O-6 and below is limited by Level V of the Executive Schedule which is $12,266,70.
2) While serving as Chairman, Joint Chief/Vice Chairman, Joint Chief of Staff, Chief of Navy Operations, Commandant of the Marine Corps, Army/Air Force Chief of Staff, Commander of a unified or specified combatant command, basic pay is $21,147.70. (See note 1 above).
3) Applicable to O-1 to O-3 with at least 4 years and 1 day of active duty or more than 1460 points as a warrant and/or enlisted member. See Department of Defense Financial Management Regulations for more detailed explanation on who is eligible for this special basic pay rate.
4) For the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, Sergeant Major of the Army or Marine Corps or Senior Enlisted Advisor of the JCS, basic pay is $7,816.20. Combat Zone Tax Exclusion for O-1 and above is based on this basic pay rate plus Hostile Fire Pay/Imminent Danger Pay which is $225.00.
5) Applicable to E-1 with 4 months or more active duty. Basic pay for an E-1 with less than 4 months of active duty is $1,416.30.
6) Basic pay rate for Academy Cadets/Midshipmen and ROTC members/applicants is $1,017.00.
Bear in mind that the American military maintains various "other" pays that are not included as part of the pay tables above. These include Hazardous Duty, Imminent Danger Pay (otherwise known as Combat Pay), Submarine Duty Pay among others. Additionally, there are certain allowances provided such as Clothing Allowance, Basic Allowance for Housing and Cost of Living Allowance.
Disclaimer: Though we attempt to keep this page up to date with each coming new year, the product is still presented "as is" as MilitaryFactory.com does not present an official or endorsed United States Department of Defense (DoD) source.