Design of the E-100 ran the conventional route of a track-and-wheel system fitted to a heavily armored hull with engine at the rear and a 360-degree traversing turret at the center of the hull roof. Henschel was charged with its development which, by mid-1943, was in direct competition with Porsche who had already secured a development contract for its super-sized 188-ton Panzer VIII "Maus" heavy tank. The Henschel design was to be "lighter" in form, initially covering some 155-tons of armor, weaponry and systems though its size and weight still limited it along European village roads and across its archaic bridges. The E-100 was allotted the same turret design of the Porsche Maus project, hence its informal name of "Tiger Maus". Additionally, the Tiger Maus would use many off-the-shelf components available from existing German stocks to speed up its initial development and subsequent production as well as expected in-the-field maintenance.
Work on the new tank proceeded through 1943 and into 1944. Maybach provided its HL230P30 V12 series water-cooled gasoline-fueled engine of 700 horsepower for the program (production-quality mounts would have been given the HL234 V12 instead). These engines were the same type as used on the preceding Panther medium tank and Tiger II (King Tiger) marks though - in the latter - it proved wholly underpowered for the behemoth. The track system was similar in design to those as seen on previous German tanks complete with large overlapping road wheels. The drive sprocket was fitted to the front of the hull with the track idler at the rear. The upper portions of the track were to be covered in armor "skirts" for base protection against anti-tank weaponry. The glacis plate was sloped up to the driver's position in the front-left hull just ahead of the turret emplacement. The turret itself sported thick angled sides and a heavy mantlet. The engine deck was expectedly flat with a pair of exhaust stacks fitted to the rear hull facing. The hull was suspended across a unique Belleville washer coil spring system. The complete crew complement was six including a driver, commander, loader, gunner and several loaders/machine gunners.
Text ©2003-2016 www.MilitaryFactory.com. All Rights Reserved. No Reproduction Permitted - the Content of this Page is NOT for reuse in any form. Email corrections/comments to MilitaryFactory at Gmail dot com. Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance or general operation. Please consult original manufacturers for such information.