10.5cm leFH 18/40 105mm Towed Light Field Howitzer
The 10.5-cm leFH 18/40 towed howitzer became the standard divisional field howitzer of the German Army in World War 2.
Authored By Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
The 10.5-cm leFH 18/40 light howitzer appeared alongside the existing leFH 18 and the leFH 18M series of 105mm field howitzers in the German Army during World War 2. The type first entered service in 1942 and continued operational service up until the end of the war in 1945. A few were exported to allied Finland from Nazi German factories before the end of the war and took on the local designation of 105 H 33-40. Production lasted until 1945.
The leFH 18/40 was initially designed to bring about a revised form of the available existing German 105mm field guns. Specifically, the Wehrmacht issued a requirement for a lighter field weapon so as to make them readily portable. Additionally, as Germany was embroiled in all-out war on multiple fronts by this time, the new weapon would also have to be easier to produce at German factories. Therefore, the new weapon would consist of components from several proven and existing systems.
The gun barrel assembly of the leFH 18M was selected as the primary armament and the carriage of the 7.5-cm (75mm) PaK 40 anti-tank gun
was selected as the standard mount. The gun featured a double-baffled muzzle brake to help contend with recoil. The PaK 40 carriage was slightly modified for the new design and revised to include torsion bar suspension and a pair of pressed-steel, rubber-tired spoked wheels. The end-product came under the German Army designation of 10.5-cm leFH 18/40 (10.5cm indicating the gun's caliber and leFH indicating "leiche Feldhaubitze" in the German).