Staff Writer (Updated: 11/9/2016):
Externally, the Snipe took on the basic design of the Camel with a traditional biplane wing structure, fixed landing gear and single pilot seating. Armament consisted of two 7.7mm synchronized machine guns firing in a fixed-forward position. Where the Snipe stood out above its predecessor was internally, featuring an all-new more powerful engine, integrated oxygen and heating systems allowing the aircraft to fly higher and with a better straight-line speed. Power for the Snipe was derived from a Bentley B.R.2 rotary piston engine, delivering some 230 horsepower.
The Sopwith Snipe would go on to become the Thomas Sopwith firms last production aircraft by conflicts end. Nearly 500 examples would be produced and would serve in some capacity up until 1927.