Goodyear F2G Super Corsair Carrier-based Low-Altitude, High-Performance Fighter Prototype
Proposed as an improved low-altitude version of the classic Vought F4U Corsair navy fighter, the Goodyear F2G Corsair was doomed with the end of World War 2.
Authored By Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Goodyear was one of the companies charged with large-scale production of the classic, war-winning Vought F4U "Corsair" single-seat, carrier-based fighter. This aircraft served the American and British navies during World War 2 (1939-1945) and posted stellar results as both a dogfighter and ground attack aircraft. Such was its value that the type returned to combat service during the Korean War (1950-1953) in the close-support role. Goodyear aircraft were differentiated by the designation of "FG" with the first models completed being simplified fixed-wing versions of the folding-wing F4U-1 variant. These arrived as the "FG-1". other variants to join the line became the radar-carrying "FG-1E" and the drone-minded "FG-1K". The "FG-4" was a late-war addition.
In time, engineers at Goodyear pushed development of an in-house version intended for the low-altitude dogfighting role based on the F4U-1 - which it knew as the FG-1. The resulting work produced the F2G "Super Corsair", a design centered around the massive and powerful Pratt & Whitney R-4360 "Wasp Major" 28-cylinder, four-row, air-cooled radial piston engine. This engine was the same as used on the Hughes H-4 "Hercules" transport, the upcoming B-50 "Superfortress" strategic bomber, and the soon-to-be Convair B-36 "Peacemaker". On the whole, the form and function of the original F4U was retained in the F2G including the iconic gull wing mainplanes, single rudder tail fin and central cockpit placement.
Work on the new fighter began in the early part of 1944 with an existing FG-1 airframe used as the starting point. The aircraft was given the developmental designation of "XF2G-1" with the impending production model to become the "F2G-1". A new buddle canopy was fitted at amidships to provide better all-around vision out-of-the-cockpit for the pilot. The wings held 6 x 0.50 caliber M2 Browning heavy machine guns and could support conventional drop bombs or rockets underneath. Additionally, the mainplanes were plumbed to support jettisonable fuel tanks (in lieu of bombs) for increased operational ranges away from home carriers. As with the original F4U, the F2G would be able to undertake both fighter and ground attack missions as needed.