Blohm and Voss Bv P.194 Ground Attack / Tactical Bomber Proposal
The Blohm and Voss P.194 aircraft proposal of World War 2 joined many other ultimately-abandoned aircraft initiatives by the company.
Authored By Staff Writer; Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com
Despite the successes encountered by the German Luftwaffe with their famous Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka" dive bombers in the early phases of World War 2 (1939-1945), the system was becoming obsolete by the middle war years and a search for a successor was all but inevitable. This led to a new RLM requirement of February 1944 which called for a tactical multi-role bomber capable of reproducing the combat results of the aging Ju 87. Blohm and Voss submitted several designs for the requirement and one of these became the P.194. Like so many other B&V submissions for Luftwaffe consideration, the P.194 was from the mind of aviation engineer Richard Vogt.
B&V designs became some of the more unorthodox aircraft designs of the war with Vogt's chief achievement of this lot becoming the "asymmetric" Bv 141. The Bv 141 took on a highly unconventional arrangement in which the aircraft utilized a typical tubular fuselage housing the engine while a separate nacelle was used to house the cockpit. The fuselage and cockpit were both offset from the centerline, the fuselage to portside and the cockpit to starboard. A wing mainplane was driven through the design and provided traditional function for the aircraft. The empennage was attached to the unmanned fuselage portion and displayed a single horizontal plane (set to portside) as well as a single vertical tail fin. The result became what was believed to be a better-balanced aircraft and, despite its radical design, some 28 of the type were believed to have been constructed. The aircraft first flew on February 25th, 1938 and was adopted in limited number for the light bomber / reconnaissance role. Its restricted production reach was largely due to the availability of the engine required but, other that this, the asymmetric design was proven sound enough for military service. The aircraft was also directly challenged by the more conventional Focke-Wulf Fw 189 "Eagle Owl ("Uhu")", a twin-engine, twin-boom offering of which 864 were eventually procured by the Luftwaffe.
With this in mind, the groundwork for the P.194 was laid. The new aircraft was given largely the same asymmetric treatment and involved an offset main fuselage (to portside) housing the engine and tail unit. Unlike the Bv 141, the P.194 was to use a "combination" propulsion scheme involving a conventional "puller" engine at the front of the fuselage and a turbojet engine fitted to the starboard side nacelle. This starboard nacelle was to also showcase the cockpit and fixed standard armament. The conventional engine was to be a BMW 801D 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine of 1,600 horsepower fitted to the extreme front section of the fuselage. The turbojet installation became a Junkers Jumo 109-004 engine with 2,000 pounds of output power. The tail unit, found on the fuselage tube, was a conventional arrangement with single fin structure and a pair of mid-mounted tailplanes.